Posts for tag: dental crowns
Do you have missing or damaged teeth? You may benefit from crowns and bridges. Boston, MA, dentists Drs. Edwin Riley, III; Edwin Riley, IV; and Rita Han explain how crowns and bridges can restore your smile.
What are crowns and bridges?
Crowns are hollow restorations made of porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal or ceramic. They're created from an impression of your mouth made in our Boston office and slide over the top of teeth after they've been prepared. Bridges are also made of porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal or ceramic and are used to replace missing teeth. Crowns on either end of the bridge support one or more artificial teeth in the middle.
When are crowns recommended?
Crowns are often used to:
- Strengthen Weak Teeth: Teeth can weaken as you age, or weak or brittle teeth may be something you've inherited. Your teeth can also become fragile if you've had a dental procedure, such as a large filling or a root canal, or have developed a crack. Crowns strengthen your weak teeth and prevent them from fracturing.
- Restore Damaged Teeth: Damaged or broken teeth can cause lacerations in your mouth, make eating difficult and affect your appearance. Adding a crown to a broken or chipped tooth restores its normal shape and width, as well as its function.
- Improve the Appearance of a Tooth: Crowns provide an excellent solution if you're concerned about the appearance of one of your teeth. They can conceal discolorations or even change the shape of a tooth. If you have one or two teeth that are crooked or twisted, there's no need for braces if your bite isn't affected. Adding crowns to the teeth is a simple way to improve your smile. Crowns also add length to teeth that are naturally short or have eroded due to grinding.
Why should I consider a bridge?
Filling the gap in your smile offers several important benefits, including:
- Improved appearance
- Better chewing and biting ability
- No drifting of surrounding teeth
Would you like to find out if you can benefit from crowns and bridges? Call Boston, MA, dentists Drs. Edwin Riley, III; Edwin Riley, IV; and Rita Han at (617) 723-4032 to schedule your appointment.
With options like dental crowns and bridges, your Boston dentist can take your smile from being so-so to simply beautiful. Riley Dental Associates, LLC, in Boston, MA, offers a full range of dental services, including dental crowns and bridges. Read on to learn about the benefits of dental crowns and bridges.
Benefits of Crowns
Cosmetic– Dental crowns can improve the look of cracked, misshapen, broken or discolored teeth. Crowns strengthen the teeth and can be used to improve their appearance, shape or alignment.
Protection– When used to cover damaged or weakened teeth, dental crowns serve to protect the teeth from further decay and damage. Dental crowns are used to entirely cover damaged and weakened teeth.
Natural-looking– Riley Dental Associates, LLC offers natural-looking dental crowns. Porcelain dental crowns resemble the look of your natural teeth because they mimic the translucency and luster of your own teeth.
Benefits of Bridges
Tooth Replacement- Dental bridges are a viable option for people who have lost more than one tooth. A bridge is made up of two or more crowns for the teeth on the sides of the gap and one or more prosthetic teeth in between.
Prevent Shifting- Spaces left by lost teeth may cause your existing teeth to shift, resulting in a bad bite. The imbalance caused by lost teeth can also lead to TMJ disorder and gum disease. Fixed dental bridges prevent the surrounding teeth from shifting.
Cosmetic- Fixed dental bridges look great and match the natural teeth exceptionally well. With fixed dental bridges, not only can you fill the gaps in your smile, you can improve the color and shape of the teeth that you are crowning.
So, what are you waiting for? If you need a dental crown or bridge, why wait? We can help you today. Call Riley Dental Associates, LLC in Boston, MA, at (617) 723-4032 today to schedule your next dental appointment. We are dedicated to creating beautiful smiles for our patients.